Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Dear Mothers

Dear Mothers,
How do you do it? How do you stay sane? How do you keep your homes clean? Are you really on the verge of a break down like me? Are you just better at hiding it?
How come no one told me that it would be this difficult? Is my child the only one that fights sleep EVERY SINGLE time? Is my child the only one who has no consistent schedule, even though I put him down at the same times every day?
How do you know what to do? How do you maintain friendships? How do you reply to emails and letters? How do you find a clear moment in your head to fathom what you are going to cook for dinner? How do you find time or energy to exercise?
Do you cry multiple times a day because you just can't take the crying anymore? Is a vacation to you, an uninterrupted day to do laundry and dishes?
How do so many women do it? And I just can't seem to keep up. Full time job aside, motherhood is kickin my butt.
Desperately yours,
Helen Joy

5 comments:

  1. Dear HJ,

    The secret to success is to know we are all on the brink of insanity on a daily basis. No, our homes are not clean and only appear to be when someone visits. You only get good at hiding it with practice and I'm still not good at it! Your child is not the only one that protests regular nap times and bed times, though he seems to be very stubborn. And, the only way most of us reply to emails is sneaking it in at our day jobs or at midnight after all have gone to sleep. And dear HJ, mommies exercise by chasing our newly mobile children!!

    Sincerely yours,
    Beth Haley, experienced at being a messy mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like I wrote this post or something. I think there are some parents who glide through parenthood easier then others and then there are those who have a VERY HARD time and that was me with my daughter, who is now 4 and an amazing little girl. I normally don't put links in my comments, but if you are need of a good laugh or maybe a 'wow, she had it tough too' - these two posts are specifically about my not so ordinary daughter :o)
    You spoke many things I have thought and said before. Hugs to you now.


    http://karinewsom.blogspot.com/2009/09/i-stand-amazed.html

    http://karinewsom.blogspot.com/2009/06/revisiting-smile-youre-on-candid-camera.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Helen Joy...I am now a granny and my daughter is expecting her second...nine years after her first...so we were just having this discussion the other day. I remember sitting on the bed, still in my nightie, and crying because the house was so dirty and I was soooo tired! I dreamed of checking into a hotel and sleeping 8 hours straight! It does get better. It just takes time. In the meantime, try not to worry about your house. This very special baby time will seem like it went quickly when you are looking back at it, so enjoy that wonderful baby smell and kissing that soft baby forehead!!! I know, easy for me to say since I am not in the middle of it right now. But I can't wait to get my hands on my new grandbaby and dive right back into the bottles and diapers!!! Your little Mr. Barclay surely is a cutie! Enjoy him and don't worry about the rest!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel. I wonder about the house myself. But then again I work full time as well. When I was home after having my baby, the house stayed clean. Working & coming home, I just dont feel like it every night. And my kids definitely fight me on stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, my friend, I am praying for you. . . Rest in the Lord, he will give you the strength for the moment right when you need it most.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so leave one:-)