Monday, August 24, 2009

Wisdom

Being a mother is frightening. To have so much influence over a person's life. To be responsible for teaching, training, and loving.

Today I was in a store and a mother pushed her little girl on the back of the neck and said very loudly, "I'm gonna beat you down". It completely grabbed at my heart. I cannot believe that a mother could treat their own child with such hatred.

Just this past week, several people have commented to me how wonderful it is to see the love I have for Barclay. It's so easy though! It's the easiest thing in the world.

Now I think to years from now, when he can talk back, and disappoint. I think about all how hard it will be to see him hurt, how hard it will be to watch him learn lessons. But I can honestly say that, I.Will.Never.Stop.Loving.Him. No matter what he does, no matter what he doesn't do, no matter what, I will always love him.

I sometimes get stressed out thinking about the fine line a parent walks between being an authority, and being a friend. Between disciplining out of love, and not disciplining effectivly.
"How will I know what to do?"

A sweet friend wrote me a facebook message when I was having a hard time in the early months of motherhood. She said, "Pray for Wisdom".

So tonight, I prayed for wisdom, and tomorrow I will pray for wisdom,..

4 comments:

  1. Praying for wisdom is good advice...also, you can read wisdom in God's Word, especially Proverbs is a great book for instruction about training children. Charles Bridges has a commentary on the book of Proverbs that is pretty easy to read and is a great resource for understanding it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has always amazed me the way some people treat their kids. I admit, there have been occasions that I've raised my voice at Alina for a minute... always followed by guilt and "honey, mommy loves you, come give me a kiss. I'm just worried about you. you need to obey mommy."
    Parents, especially at grocery stores, make me sad. Many of them treat their kids as if they never wanted them - and maybe they didn't. I wish people were more responsible and viewed their kids as people and individuals with self esteem and feelings. It's like when parents slap their kids on anti-hyper medication - maybe your kid is just... energetic! Now, I'm sure that some kids somewhere need it but most of them just need a good parent to pay attention and discipline.
    I can't imagine Barclay will ever think of you the way that child has to think of her mother. I think kids know when we want them and plan for them and our very lives revolve around them... even when it's trying and we loose our temper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unlike other heeled shoes, Hogan Shoes shoes of borse prada series are medically supervised. Dolce & Gabbana Sunglasses That is why; the slightly raised heel is designed to support the back of the foot, while the wrap around supports ankles against jerks. These beautiful artifices are available in different Sizes like 5 to 10 and shapes like narrow and wide. Moreover, Abercrombie Fitch these shoes can be customized on as per the specifications and requirements of the customer's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many types of motorcycle leather jackets available they Tiger Shoes differ in terms of aesthetics, cuts and sizes. Mostly motorcycle leather jackets are found in black color but different colors are also available. Biker's jacket usually comes with huge pointed lapels and is mostly in black color. Franklin Marshall While the motorcycle leather jackets used by the racers differ as they are mostly brightly colored and don't have any sort of lapels they grip the body more firmly to provide protection to the racer. the north face outlet The motorcycle leather jackets made for women style needs are mostly white in color and can be in square and boxy styles.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so leave one:-)